BIRMINGHAM TUC CENTRE FOR THE UNEMPLOYED
REDUNDANCY FACTSHEET No. 2c.
JSA (INCOME BASED)
1. For people out of work, or on a low income.
2. If you pay rent and/or Council Tax - may be entitled to Housing Benefit (HB) and Council Tax Benefit (CTB), as well as Income Based JSA. (See Factsheets Nos. 4 & 5)
3. With Income Based JSA you will qualify for ‘Passported Benefits’
5. Your savings and other capital must not be over £8,000 - if they are over £3,000 - £1 will be taken off benefit each week for every £250 or part of £250over £3,000 so the deduction would be £4 per £1,000.
6. You cannot work more than 16 hour a week and your partner cannot work more than 24 hours per week. If you do see Factsheet No. 1 on Working Families Tax Credit
7. You are not in full time education, but if in part time education
may qualify (See Factsheet No. 2f)
10. You are entitled to two weeks holiday per year within the UK, but while on holiday must still be available for work. Your claim would cease if you go out of the UK.
11. You must tell the Employment Service and Benefits Agency when going on holiday and must sign on day after returning off holiday - if you don’t you will lose the two weeks money while you were on holiday
12. You don’t have to have paid National Insurance Contributions
13. You can claim for yourself, your partner and any dependants
14. Income Based JSA is calculated on your ‘Applicable Amount’ which
is what the Law says you need to live on, any other money you have coming
in and your capital if over £3,000, will be offset against the applicable
16. Claim will be made and start from the date you asked for the form
17. Income Based JSA is paid weekly or fortnightly by Giro cheque or direct to your Bank/Building Society account, usually in arrears.
18. If you have a mortgage it may also cover your mortgage interest
payments, but there have been changes to the rules on this and you should
read the enclosure on this area.
N.B. Income Support has not been removed altogether, it is still payable
to certain categories of people who do not qualify for JSA (contributory
and income based), who are on low income and unavailable for work.
IF IN DOUBT ABOUT ANYTHING - CLAIM - and/or Seek Advice from
0121 771 0871